A project created and designed by Cambodian artist Chanrithy Thim, moonOS is intended as an operating system for any desktop, laptop or virtual machine.
As well as using the Enlightenment window manager, moonOS includes a wide variety of applications and daemons (a computer program that runs in the background), much of which is different than what is included in Ubuntu, however it retains the capability to run GNOME binaries. Applications included are:
* OpenOffice.org, the default office program
* Mozilla Firefox, the default web browser
* Exaile, the default music player
* Transmission, the default BitTorrent application
* GIMP, the default graphics editor
* Totem Movie Player, the default video player
* Brasero, the default optical disc burning software
* Pidgin, the default instant messaging client
It is believed that moonOS is a fork of Linux Mint. moonOS has a similar user interface as Mint, and Moon's IRC client opens the Mint help channel when launched.
Updates (via Distrowatch):
Chanrithy Thim has announced the release of moonOS 4, an Ubuntu-based desktop distribution with a custom file hierarchy and a new experimental application framework: "The team is proud to announce the release of moonOS 4. New features: updated software, refinements and new features to make your desktop even more comfortable to use; uses GNOME as the default desktop environment; own file hierarchy system; new applications framework - an software that uses the Appshell framework will be standalone so everyone can download a single package and install and share with friends via a Flash driver (this is in experiment so there are limited application ports at the moment); includes the popular '200 lines' kernel patch to boost the speed; careful selection of applications for daily use; Docky and Synapse for life even more easy...." Read the release notes for more details and some screenshots. Download: moonos-4-neak-desktop-i386.iso (832MB, MD5).
• 2011-01-01: Distribution Release: moonOS 4
• 2009-09-10: Distribution Release: moonOS 3
moonOS Main Edition
moonOS Main Edition use GNOME as its default desktop environment. It's powerful for end-user and best daily use and available both in 32bit & 64bit and include support may media formats, the moonOS toolset and more...
moonOS E17 Edition
moonOS E17 Edition use Enlightenment DR17 as its default window manager. It's fast even in a Virtual Machine, and available in 32bit and include support many media formats, the moonOS toolset and more… There isn't a current version available, stay tuned for our next E17 release.
moonOS LXDE Edition
Being based on Ubuntu, moonOS will basically run as well, if not better, on any decent, current hardware; by using Enlightenment instead of Gnome, your experience with moonOS should actually be much, much more snappy :) - Enjoy freedom at blazing speeds!700 MHz x86 processor 384 MB of system memory (RAM) 8 GB of disk space Graphics card capable of 1024x768 resolution A network or Internet connection is neededif you want to download extra software
moonOS 4 comes with updated software and brings refinements and new features to make your desktop even more comfortable to use.
The GNOME Desktop Environment
moonOS 4 Main Edition use GNOME as default desktop environment to use powerful of GNOME for end-users.
The New File Hierarchy System
moonOS 4 is unlike other Linux distribution anymore. Now we have our own File Hierarchy System to make more user friendly and modern.
Introducing the new applications framework that make life much more easy. Software that use Appshell Framework will be standalone so everyone can download a single package then install it in anytime, anywhere, offline, online and easy to share with friends via Flash driver. This is in experiment stat so it has not many applications port to use it.
- moonOS 4 come with the most popular "200 lines" kernel patch to boost the speed.
- Reselected daily use applications
- Docky and Synapse for life even more easy
- And more improvement...
- If you use exists home partition, Pidgin will not work with Message Menu. To fix, please copy /System/Settings/skel/.purple to your home folder.
- /home mountpoint will be not work. Please use /Users instead.
- Indicator Workspace will crash in Live CD in some time. Or if it show only 1 workspace, please press Ctrl+ Alt + Left or Right Arrow key to fix it.
- If your boot splash look unusual, please following this instruction.
- moonOS 4 is based on Maverick Meerkat. Make sure to read the known issues related to this release.
If you liked this article, subscribe to the feed by clicking the image below to keep informed about new contents of the blog: