1.- At startup, Dr. Geo asks me to choose an image file, what is it?
It occurs when the direcotry's path Dr. Geo belongs to contains accented characters. Move Dr. Geo to a directory without accented characters in its path and try again (this problem was reported under Windows).
2.- Can I run it in my Linux 64 bits host?
Linux Dr. Geo is compiled for 32 bits host. To run it on your Linux 64 bits host, you need to install 32 bits compatibility package. This package will let you run any 32 bits compiled software on a 64 bits host. Depending on the distribution, the package to install may have different name.
3.- Debian, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, Linux Mint
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch
4.- Debian, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, LinuxMint.
Check you are indeed running a 64 bits system and you have access to 32 bits architecture as well:
Then add the 32 bits compatibility packages:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
5.- How to install manually Dr. Geo in my XO?
In the transition to the latest XO software release, some people have had trouble downloading and installing the Dr. Geo bundle.
If installation through Browse activity fails, try the following steps:
From the Terminal activity, remove any previous Dr. Geo bundle:
rm -rf /home/olpc/Activities/DrGeoII.activity
Restart Sugar by pressing simultaneously Ctrl+Alt+Erase so Sugar takes notice of the removal. Then from the terminal activity do:
It will install the bundle in /home/olpc/Activities, if /home/olpc/Activities does not exist and Sugar complains about that, you can create it first:
Then press the keys Ctrl+Alt+Erase to restart the GUI, you can then install the new bundle.
6.- Can I install Dr. Geo in my own Pharo Smalltalk?
Yes, you can.
You want to install Dr. Geo in your own Pharo Smalltalk image. You have to use the Monticello versioning system. This tool is part of Pharo:
- In Monticello, add the repository http://www.squeaksource.com/DrGeoII and install the latest DrGeoII-Core and DrGeoII-Polymoprh packages.
- In the workspace, type: DrGeo new. (Make sure not to omit the period), select the entire piece of code, and press alt-d, then a Dr. Geo II window appears. For a smaller Dr. Geo canvas without toolbar execute the code: DrGeo sample openInWorld
- Click in an empty space in the Smalltalk background and select in the menu save and quit. This saves a snapshot of your Pharo environment with Dr. Geo installed. Next time you enter Pharo, all windows will appear at their current locations.
7.- Can I install Dr. Geo in Squeak and Etoys?Yes, you can.
You want to install Dr. Geo in your own Squeak Smalltalk image or Etoys. You have to use the Monticello versioning system. This tool is part of Squeak, for Etoys you have to use the developer version (Important note: Dr. Geo is part of the Etoys 2010 version, so you don't need to do anything):
- In Monticello, add the repository http://www.squeaksource.com/DrGeoII and install the latest DrGeoII-Core and DrGeoII-Etoys packages. The later package extend Dr. Geo with Etoys graphical scriptabilities.
- In the workspace, execute DrGeo sample openInWorld. Alternatively, you can drag a Dr. Geo canvas from the graphical parts bin/supplies tool.
- Click in an empty space in the Smalltalk background, and select in the menu save and quit. This saves a snapshot of your Squeak/Etoys environment with Dr. Geo installed. Next time you enter Squaek/Etoys, all windows will appear at their current locations.
If you liked this article, subscribe to the feed by clicking the image below to keep informed about new contents of the blog: